skip to main content

 

Brief History

  • Designed by Llewellyn Williams (who also designed Kirkaldies & Stains (now David Jones)
  • Built 1924 as the ‘de Luxe’, last surviving of the three built in that period
  • Had a Wurlitzer organ, played silent movies
  • Robert Kerridge’s Kerridge Odeon Theatre Corp bought and changed name to ‘The Embassy’ in 1946
  • 1992 Brierley Investments bought for RNZ Ballet in 1992
  • Embassy Trust formed to buy Embassy 1996. Some upgrading from 1998
  • WCC took over ownership, trust disbanded, 2003
  • Major strengthening completed for ‘LOR: The Return of the King’ in December 2003
  • About $5m spent since 1998, but full refurbishment never completed.

 
 
+ Text Size -
Original generation time 1.5923 seconds.